Tuesday, August 23, 2016

SS: Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole

Today I wanted something quick and simple for dinner, so I flipped through the Skinny Suppers book and landed on this recipe. I think I've expressed our love for jalapeno poppers before and thought - hey, low cal poppers? Okay.

Also. Before I go on. I've never called it "Supper". I've always called it "Dinner". What about you?

Moving on. This was quick and easy (true to the nature of the book). I love that it called for quinoa, which I'm always trying to find new things to do with instead of the standard "rice" swap. I'll pay attention to the fact that she adds a cup of liquid to the casserole in case I want to toss quinoa in any casseroles I come up with.

This came out of the oven and I noticed when I was spooning it into bowls that there is no color. Then it hit me: there are no veggies in this casserole. I usually try and incorporate veggies most of the time, especially when it comes to dinner, and this bothered me a bit. I'll probably toss in some peas or maybe even diced squash next time - I know, I know, this takes away from the "popper" vibe, but it will make me feel better. This was also incredibly spicy. Like, so spicy that I didn't really want to finish it. I would probably omit some of the jalapeno next time. Overall, some adjustments will be made, but I would probably make it again.

One of those "hard to photograph" meals.

Recipe:
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6
Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
320 Cal, 10 g Fat, 25 g Carbs, 3g Fiber, 2 g Sugar, 30g Protein

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (4-oz) can diced pickled jalapenos, drained - I just chopped up some jalapenos from a jar I had in my fridge.
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, soft
3/4 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt 
2 tbs. Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar
2 fresh jalapenos, sliced
1/4 cup Panko

1) In a large pot, boil chicken and 2 tbs. diced jalapeno (from the can or jar). About 12-15 minutes. Cool on a plate and shred OR toss those suckers in your Kitchen Aid (still hot) and shred with the paddle attachment. Toss the water and jalapenos down the drain. 

2) Meanwhile, combine 2 cups of the chicken broth and the quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover about 12-15 minutes until the liquid is gone. Uncover and fluff with a fork.

3) Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.

4) Ok, this isn't how the recipe goes, but it eliminates a bowl and it worked out fine for me. Toss the cream cheese, yogurt, hot sauce, remaining 1 cup chicken broth, remaining diced jalapenos (from the can or jar), 1/2 cup cheese and cooked quinoa to the chicken in the Kitchen Aid. Mix it all up. 

5) Pour mixture into a pan and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, sliced jalapenos and Panko. Coat the top of the casserole with cooking spray and cook for about 20 minutes or so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment