Monday, August 15, 2016

Pepper's Pork Stuffed Cucumber Soup

We are a cucumber loving family. So much, in fact, that I had to hide the cucumbers from Collin so they would last until I was able to make this recipe. This one intrigued the hell out of my sister because she had heard that cooked cucumbers were the shit and Chrissy makes a big deal about them as well. I was pretty excited now and decided to make this last night because I was bloated from all the cheese and bad food and this is carb free.

First thing's first. This is easy to make. Prep time is like 15 minutes. Basically, you mix a few things in with ground pork and then hollow out the cucumbers. I used a jalapeno corer that Collin bought on a whim a few weeks ago. I made fun of him for buying it, much like I did when he bought the cherry pitter, but both have become very important things in my kitchen and I love them now. I did feel bad tossing the middles out, but I didn't feel like eating them right away and I couldn't think of a whole lot I could do with cucumber pulp...so into the trash they went.

Anyway, when it came down to stuffing them I went my favorite stuffing route: stick the mixture in a plastic bag and snip off a corner. This seemed like the easiest way to me and it worked out pretty well. I also had about half the pork mixture leftover. So I froze that for future use. So basically, you mix, core, stuff, and boil. Easy.

I did not use the kind of mushroom she suggests bc I didn't feel like going on a wild goose chase.

When you put this into bowls, Holy Jesus it is hot. Like I'm talking it's boiling when you put it in your bowl. Be careful. This is when I am thankful that I bought a little plug in fan for my kitchen. I use it mostly to cool Calvin's food quickly, but I use it for myself a lot. Like every day. I can't stand hot food. Hot fries are the worst. Collin thinks I'm nuts, but it makes me so mad when I get piping hot fries. He's all like "That means they're fresh!" and I'm all "Yeah, but now I have to wait 10 minutes to eat them!" It's so annoying. 

Moving on...

In my bowl. You can see the cucumbers are nice and soft.

Taste: This was pleasant. My method of pork stuffing, while easy and quick, did not push the pork all the way into the hollow space of the cucumber. Some made it, but most of the pork stopped halfway down. I'm not really sure how you would rectify this, but I need to figure it out because the cucumber with the pork is so freaking good. The cucumber by itself was very so-so. It tasted about like what you would think a boiled cucumber would taste like. I may actually use the leftover pork to make meatballs or something. It was just so good. Once I figure out how to stuff the entire cucumber, I could see myself making this for my lunches for the week. Collin did not care for it at all, but this is nice and filling and low carb for me. I'll keep it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment