Thursday, August 4, 2016

French Toast Casserole with Salted Frosted Flakes

As a child I was not a french toast fan. I could eat pound after pound of waffles and pancakes, but french toast never spoke to me. As I grew older, it was still not something I craved, but I made it a few times when Calvin was old enough to eat it for breakfast and it was good...but not like pizza good. Anyway, we took the boys on a mini vacation to Galveston yesterday and I thought it would be a nice breakfast to send us on our way.

Thank God I read the recipe the day before because you have to let it sit in the fridge overnight. No big deal - it makes for no messes in the morning. Once the morning gets here though, you have to let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and then bake the fuckin thing for an hour. I knew this when I made the recipe, but by the time it was done Calvin was already eating cereal. So much for that. I figured I could probably get him to taste it and if it was good, he would eat a little bit of it anyway. It makes a whole 9x13, so I was really banking on this being delicious like I've heard.

Looks pretty smooshy, but I think its supposed to be like that.

I was starving by the time this was ready, as I usually am by the time food is done...I think I need to get a better handle on my hunger level to food doneness clock. I scooped a big helping into my bowl and took a big bite. 

It tasted like rum. There is rum in this recipe, so that's not exactly out of nowhere, but I was shocked at the strength of the taste. It was like I poured straight rum on bread and took a bite. There were no other flavors...just rum. I took a few more bites to make sure it wasn't just a rummy bite and, as it turns out, that's just how the dish is supposed to taste. I checked and double checked the recipe and I put the correct amount of rum in so I was just completely confused. I don't particularly like the taste of rum (spiced or not) so I dumped the rest of my bowl in the trash, completely disappointed. I had hoped the rum would give it a hint of flavor...not completely overpower the entire dish.

At this point, I was glad Calvin had already eaten because even though I'm sure the alcohol cooked out - he doesn't need to know what rum tastes like at this early of an age. So I packed up the casserole and we dropped it off at my mom's house on the way out of town. She likes rum and I wanted to see what she would say, so when I gave it to her I told her it made too much and we would never eat it all. She took a bite and immediately asked if there was alcohol in it, which made me laugh and also gave me confirmation that I was not crazy. 

Anyway. Collin said he didn't really taste the rum and said it was good so I am super curious to know if mom and I are the only ones. Make this and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment