Sunday, August 21, 2016

John's Fried Chicken Wings with Spicy Honey Butter

I think I mentioned that we hosted a fight night last night. Once mom found out, she started pulling things out of her freezer and pretty soon, we had a random assortment of foods to serve. I decided on these wings, because who doesn't love wings, and the armadillo bread while mom showed up with beer brats with the fixings and my mother in law brought a delightful tray of gluten free goodies. Pair all this with cheese and crackers, Collin's fresh new batch of home brewed beer and good friends and you've got yourself a party.

I'll go ahead and take this time to say that I did not remember to take a picture of the wings. I wish I had, because they turned out beautiful, but I can't un-eat them and therefore you will get no picture. I will, however, post pictures of a few other things (taken mostly by my sister) just to give this post the aesthetic feel you are used to. Cause I know you all love my professional photos.

Karen's (MIL) beautiful tray of gluten free goodies.

These wings are pretty standard. She has you marinate them in a brine, coat with flour and fry them up. I made the first batch small to see if her cook time was true (it is) and realized that they had a tendency to stick to the bottom of my fry basket. Because of this, I grabbed my tongs and tried to give the second batch a little stir while they were frying. Well, something went wrong and I wound up splashing hot grease on my hand. Freaking. Ouch. After applying cold compresses and an oatmeal/milk mixture I found out that you aren't supposed to apply cold compress and that mustard actually works wonders to get rid of the lingering (oh, God did it linger) sting. For future reference - mustard all the way.

It looks much better today.


Ok, so. The spicy honey butter. She tells you to slather this all over the wings, but people were grabbing the wings left and right so I never got a chance to. Honestly, I'm not sure I wanted people's honey butter fingers everywhere either so I left it in a bowl for people to apply to their wings if they wanted. My dad loved the sauce. I had a small taste but, because I was hosting and running around everywhere, I never got a chance to fully taste the wings/sauce and they were gone in record time. I don't think many people tried the sauce, but it also didn't matter because the batter was spot on. I'd make these again for a crowd except next time I won't be a dumbass and splash hot grease all over myself. 

I'll leave you with a picture of me and my beloved new fridge, even though I look like a pork and a half in it. Hence my reasoning for the new "Skinny Suppers" book. (side note: I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from pre-baby weight! :D)
The apron adds bulk...yeah, that's it! Also, I LOVE MY FRIDGE.

No comments:

Post a Comment