Saturday, July 23, 2016

Margarita Chicken Fajitas with Mushrooms and Spinach

Well it took what felt like forever to finish off that turkey, but I finally did and now I can get back in the swing of things. I will admit though, it felt so good to take a week off of grocery shopping so I can thank mom for that. Of course, by the end of the week Collin was begging me to toss what was left of the turkey and make something else, so we ate like crap on the days he was off and I started back up again today. I figured fajitas are always a crowd (and Collin) pleaser, so I kicked it off with this recipe.

This bad boy calls for some tequila, which we don't keep in the house as we tend to be more beer drinkers, but Collin had some co-workers over a few months ago and one of them left some Patron here. Lucky for me, cause I didn't really want to make a special trip to the liquor store. This recipe looks like it has a lot of ingredients, but once you put it all together it's really not that bad. Most of it is for the marinade which absolutely reeked of tequila. The whole time I was making it I kept having flashbacks to my 21st birthday where my co-workers kept feeding me Patron. This also reminded me of why I don't drink it. I recalled some memories I thought were locked away for good... *shudder* Anyway, she has you marinate the chicken first and after that it's smooth sailing.

What really threw me off here was the mushrooms. I can't recall a time I've ever eaten fajitas with mushrooms. Even spinach isn't really that strange of an addition, but I throw spinach in pretty much everything so maybe that's just me. It also felt weird not adding green/red peppers in here. Maybe I just need to stop being such a snob and expand my fajita horizons.

The recipe calls for flour tortillas, but I'm really more of a corn tortilla kind of girl, so I went my own way with that part, but this turned out pretty damn good. I found myself eating the chicken straight from the pan so I'll keep the marinade at the very least.

I probably should have put the chicken on top.

I don't know that I'll make the mushroom part again, but the chicken/marinade is a keeper for sure...at least until I run out of tequila. Then I'll probably never make it again unless someone else leaves tequila leftovers here.  I did, however, have 3 tacos so I really don't have any complaints. Look at me, expanding my fajita horizons already!



1 comment: