Thursday, July 14, 2016

Crab, Cream Cheese and Scallion Wontons

My mom cleaned out her freezer the other day and she gave me a big frozen turkey. I'm not usually the biggest fan of turkey, outside of the lunch meat kind, but I took the bird and decided to eat off of it all week. So, I injected it with seasoning and my husband smoked it and I meal planned around this turkey for the week. Now, as you may or may not know, there are no recipes in Chrissy's book that call for turkey. Apparently she feels the same way about it as I do. I flipped through the book and tried to find a recipe that I had all the ingredients for so I could save myself a trip to the grocery store and I landed on this beauty. The only thing I did not have was the crab meat. So, I broke my number one rule. I did not make this exactly as it appears in the book...can you see where this is going? Yes, I substituted the crab meat for turkey.

Now, I'm very certain that Chrissy does not read this blog. But if she ever did I'm sure she would have a heart attack from my little "substitution". Before I go on, I will say that I have every intention of re-making these exactly as it is written. I just needed to use up some damn turkey.

First, prep work. There really isn't a whole lot that you do to prep for this. It goes rather quickly and even stuffing the wontons doesn't take long. Andrew had his first Gerber baby meat the other day and I gotta tell you, pulsing up that turkey in my food processor looked an awful lot like meat baby food. And if you've never seen or smelled meat baby food then you're lucky because that shit is the worst. When Calvin was a baby he refused to eat it. Andrew, of course, eats the shit out of it but he's a little sausage so he eats anything.

Moving on...so prep - easy. Frying them up is also a piece of cake even though you use a massive amount of vegetable oil. Like, massive. You probably use about 2 standard size vegetable oil bottles. Is it really necessary to use that much? I think so. They have to float and if they stick to the bottom I imagine it would be a big mess. Luckily, vegetable oil is cheap and we should all be grateful that it doesn't call for 2 bottles of olive oil.

Try not to think about the fact that there is pureed turkey in there.

These were...good. And I say it like that because if I had used the crab meat, like anyone with a brain would have, these would have been absolutely phenomenal. We ate them and we actually went back for more - though I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe that's because that's just what you do when faced with finger food. After a while, I started dipping them in barbeque sauce because the sauce she has you make just didn't sit well with the turkey. Collin did request that I make these again, but that I use the crab meat next time and I 100% agree. In the end, we fought over who was going to eat the last one, but not the good way. Eventually, he lost and ate the last one and now I know not to fuck with Chrissy again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment