Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sesame Chicken Noodles

This was supposed to be another simple, easy, weeknight recipe. I had everything I needed on my list and I was at the grocery store with my mom and all was going well. Or so I thought. There is a specific item needed for this recipe and it's name is tahini. Never having needed tahini before, I had no idea what it was. A quick Google search showed me what I was looking for, but finding it proved to be more difficult than I thought.

It was the third store we tried (yes, we. My mom came with me on my little charade because she's a good sport) before I realized where we were looking was all wrong. We were standing in an Asian market and found something called sesame paste. No one in the store knew what tahini was and this looked to be about as close as I was going to get. It was only until after I purchased said sesame paste that I realized I was in the wrong genre completely. What I needed was a Middle Eastern store/section. So we left, sesame paste in tow, and moved on to two more stores until we hit the jackpot. Come to find out, tahini and sesame paste are two entirely different things with entirely different flavors - even though it appears they have the same ingredients. WTF. Oh, and apparently there is also something called tahina which may or may not be the same thing but the "a" threw me off and I just stuck with what I knew (didn't know?).

Well. Now I have both.

Cook-wise, this was a smooth as butter. She has a fun little way of boiling chicken that I've never tried and it took a bit longer than expected, but the chicken eventually got done. Everything else was child's play. 

Taste-wise, I knew this was going to taste awesome because the tahini smells amazing - go figure. I'm not sure how Collin will feel about it, because pasta, but Calvin seemed to really enjoy it. Another winner; imagine that!

And I didn't even need to take a Xanax.


1 comment: