Friday, June 17, 2016

Cheesy Jalapeno Tuna Casserole with Potato Chip Topping

This recipe name is long and ridiculous. Seriously, say it out loud. Collin asked what we were having for dinner and he laughed when I told him. Anyway, for this recipe, she favors a specific kind of potato chip that I've never heard of - Tim's Cascade Jalapeno chips. So, I went in search of these chips because she raves about them and I can always use a new kind of chip in my life. Ok, when I say "in search of" I mean I looked for them at Kroger because I was already there. They did not have them, so I settled on Bob's Texas Style kettle cooked jalapeno chips because I'd never heard of them either. So I figured it counts.

She also suggests using a specific kind of tuna (not brand), which prompted me to stand there in the tuna aisle with my mom for an absurd amount of time trying to pick the perfect one. She likes Bumblebee, but they didn't have any chunk solid tuna (which is what I needed). And then I found chunk tuna, but the amount in the can was wrong. And then I found the right amount but it was salmon....I mean this was the hardest part about this recipe. So after like 10 minutes I finally found the perfect tuna - it was store brand and hell yes because that also meant it was cheaper. My mom was a real trooper for standing there with me pretending to care about tuna.

This recipe made me miss my sister Suzy something awful. We share a close bond over tuna helper and assorted casseroles and it felt strange not to have her here. This was better than tuna helper, obviously - it has chips on top - and as I contemplated whether or not I would make it again I found myself getting up for seconds (something I don't usually do since I've had Andrew). So I guess that means I will probably make it again. It would definitely be something I would have to plan for since I don't really keep chips in the house, but to be completely honest I think it would taste good without them.

In case you were wondering how the men felt about this, Collin said "It's pretty good...for tuna" - whatever that means and Calvin is eating it under the threat of going to bed early - which is not unusual. In any case, this made a overly large amount even for a casserole dish and I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of it because 3 people can't eat a huge Cheesy Jalapeno Tuna Casserole with Potato Chip Topping dish in one or even two nights. Anyone want some?


I took the pan picture first, because I didn't know how it would look in the bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment