Thursday, June 9, 2016

Yellow Cake Baked Oatmeal

Calvin is having a sleepover with his best friend tonight, so I thought I'd make this for an afternoon snack and for breakfast tomorrow morning. I'm actually not sure if this is classifies as breakfast or dessert... nut I figured it would pretty much be a winner, because cake. It also has fruit so it's healthy. :)

I made this amidst two screaming, playing, bleeding (mine got a bloody nose within minutes) rowdy 3 and 4 year olds. Pretty standard stuff, not too many ingredients, very little prep work and a little oven time and BAM! You've got yourself a breakfast...dessert combo. Let's just classify this as brunch and cut out the middle man.

This makes a lot. She says it serves 8-10 and she's not playing around.

This is the sort of thing where you take one bite and can think of a million things that it needs. The first bite tastes a bit bland and you begin to doubt the entire dish (which sucks because it makes a lot - like, a lot). I made this at my mom's and she thought the same thing with that first bite. So we added some cinnamon to the top, because it really did need cinnamon. However, once we kept eating it, things changed. Somehow, it didn't need the million things we said it needed anymore. It's like it could hear our comments and aimed to please. It...evolved.

The texture is not that of cake or oatmeal. It sort of takes on a rice pudding kind of texture. This was very pleasant and not too sweet. Mom described it as "gentle", which I think is fitting. I'll keep this around for special occasions when I'm needing to feed a crowd for brunch.


mmmm...brunch cake 


No comments:

Post a Comment