Saturday, June 4, 2016

Crispy Bacon Hash Browns

After complaining all night about how I had to wait until Sunday to start my new little hobby, my husband pointed out that there was, in fact, breakfast in the book and I should try out one of those recipes. Seeing that I was already a few beers in and it was 9:30 at night, I opted for something I already had the ingredients for. Soon I came across this beautiful hash brown recipe and suddenly I could hardly wait until morning.

I love hash browns. I love them. I could eat them every single day and probably would if it didn't mean I would gain a thousand pounds. And these have bacon in them. Oh man! I love potatoes in general, really, but there is just something about a crispy mound of shredded potatoes that really gets my motor running. In fact, I had dreams (nightmares?) all night that something would get in the way of my making these bacon filled crisps of deliciousness. I awoke, drenched in sweat, and ran to the pantry to make sure the potatoes were still there. Ok that last part was an exaggeration, but you get my point.

I made the recipe exactly as it is in the book. It felt odd measuring out salt and pepper, as I usually just toss in whatever I feel would work. I feel like when I guess, I usually miss what's needed for the recipe and wind up adding it to taste later anyway. Moving on...

This was easy. Anyone could make this recipe and that's why I think I'm really going to like cooking through this book. I'm definitely no Bobby Flay, but for the most part I know what I'm doing. This is a nice, quick recipe and you can easily add other things in if that's your style. The recipe says it's for 2, but it was big enough for 4 small portion eaters (like my sister or my toddler).

Now, for taste. This came out nice and crispy and a little softer in the middle. I feel like if I used medium heat (instead of medium high) I would have liked it more. Of course, that also depends on how thin you spread it out in the pan. Mine might have been a little thick. I also would have omitted some of the salt as I found it a bit salty. My husband loved it. My 3 year old (Calvin) ate it up and actually spoke the words "This is good". My dad equally enjoyed it and made a comment about how you could really taste the bacon, which is a pretty high compliment any way you look at it.

Verdict? I'll keep this recipe handy.

Crispy potato bacon deliciousness

No comments:

Post a Comment