Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Pull Apart Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

My friend, Leah, mentioned that she bought Cravings the other day and how she was excited to make the biscuits and gravy. Thank God for her, because I completely forgot this recipe existed. She also pointed out the delight of having breakfast for dinner. So, thanks Leah because today I decided to skip my workout and make this instead - and girl, I'm not even mad about it.

Biscuits and gravy is one of those things where I really don't know anyone who doesn't like it. And when you're craving it, there is nothing that will satisfy that craving and when you get it you better pray whoever made it didn't fuck it up. I felt that way when I was pregnant and craving biscuits and gravy and I went to Cracker Barrel to get it. It was so bad I didn't finish it and if I remember correctly, I think I might have actually even cried. Basically, what I'm trying to say is if you're going to take the time to make biscuits and gravy you damn sure better do it right. These are people's lives you're messing with, here.

Homegirl Chrissy here lives in L.A. and from her book I get that her mother is Thai. I have no clue where she grew up, but regardless I was a bit skeptical. I think of biscuits and gravy as a southern comfort food and I didn't want to cry again. Spoiler alert: there were no tears of sadness in my kitchen today.

The way this recipe reads, she wants you to make the gravy first and then make everything else and then heat up the gravy again when it's all done. I made the biscuits and maple cream first and made the gravy while the biscuits were in the oven. That seemed like the best way to work this and it worked out just fine for me. I've never made biscuits from scratch before, so I was a bit nervous about this. If I screwed those up, that's half the freaking meal. She's burned me (haha see what I did there?) before in terms of heat levels and cook times, so I went in knowing I should keep an eye on the biscuits instead of taking her word. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the heat and time was spot on. In fact, I was so excited with how my biscuits turned out, I took a picture just for them:

The maple cream spilled a bit when I was re-applying, so it crisped to the pan.

She tells you to nestle them together so they "pull apart" but it doesn't really matter how you put them  on the pan because you stick them on a plate and cover them with gravy anyway. The sausage gravy went smoothly and without issue and within an hour I had dinner. 

I really need to hire a food photographer or something.

This was amazing. This recipe is exactly what people mean when they think of biscuits and gravy. The taste is exactly what I crave when I crave biscuits and gravy. I am just so happy and this was 100% worth skipping my workout today. *happy dance* Oh, hey! Dancing is a workout! Win-Win!




No comments:

Post a Comment