Sunday, June 26, 2016

Spicy Tomato Skillet Eggs with Prosciutto

Ah, this recipe. My sisters made me swear not to make this without them, so when Suzy came into town this weekend this was scheduled to be Sunday brunch. There was talk of one of them making it and turning it into a guest blog which, you'll find out later didn't quite go as planned.

Saturday night, I kissed my kids and my husband goodbye and headed out to my sister Jen's house for a fun filled girls night (complete with Likewise - my new favorite board game). The girl's night was a success and - as many successful evenings go - ended at 3 am with all of us delightfully inebriated on the back porch after adopting a new friend as "the fourth sister". Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, we decided I needed to make Chrissy's Perfect Tomato Sauce so it could simmer all night. So there I am, delightfully drunk and giggling at 2 am chopping herbs for the tomato sauce. It's a miracle I still have all of my limbs.

Fast forward to later in the morning. It's 11:30 am and Jen wakes me up. "I'm starving. Is it ok if I make brunch or do you want to get up and make it?" After some groggy deliberation, we decided I'd let her make this one. Thankfully, due to my making the sauce the "night" before, this was on the stove and cooking before I even got out of bed and brushed my teeth. As I walked into the kitchen and downed a bottle of water, I see that this girl has hash browns in one pan and cheesy grits going in another while the eggs were submerged in a deep pool of tomato sauce. If you're going to get drunk and spend the night somewhere - my sister's house is definitely not the worst place to go. Just saying.

The recipe says that the eggs will cook in 8-9 minutes and that's a bold faced lie. After about 10-15 minutes or so, I tore the prosciutto into bundles, stuck them in there and we put the lid on the skillet to move the cooking process along. When I make this again - and I will make this again - I will cook the eggs with the lid on and that will probably make the 8-9 minute cook time more realistic. I'm finding that cook times and heat levels are more of a guide than an actuality in this book, so take that into consideration when you are cooking.

This was delicious. The tomato sauce was really amazing and I'll probably only make this tomato sauce from now on. The flavor is fantastic and complimented the eggs delightfully. Suzy was not a fan of the spicy kick for brunch, but that definitely didn't stop her from eating it. Because we covered the skillet to move the process along, we wound up with almost hard boiled eggs instead of sunny side up, but this was still fantastic. I love that it is practically impossible to fuck up this recipe. Love. It.

In the pan, after we had already covered it.

On my plate and OMG so good




1 comment:

  1. I ate these leftovers for 2nd breakfast for 2 days. Just as good each time.

    ReplyDelete