Thursday, September 1, 2016

SS: Tuna Rice Casserole

I need to start this off by giving mad props to Brooke Griffen of Skinny Suppers for realizing, and utilizing, the beauty that is peas with tuna. Seriously though, screw "peas and carrots" that shit should be "peas and tuna". My earliest memories of the dynamic duo are accompanied by macaroni and cheese. Our mother was (and still very much is) a culinary genius and, as far as I'm concerned, she made up this delectable combo all on her own. *Applause*

That being said, this recipe was already a huge hit in my mind. I actually completely fucked up this recipe by not really having all of the ingredients and it still turned out absolutely wonderful. Very little prep and very little cleanup. *Ding! Ding!* We have a winner!

It looks so freaking good.

Recipe:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 (1 suggested serving, 1 husband size serving, 1 toddler serving and 1 lunch serving - so really it serves like 4.)
Serving size: 1 1/3 cups 
286 Cal, 8g Fat, 37g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 7g Sugar, 18g Protein

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs. minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, diced (I only had green so that's what I used)
1 (8 oz. container) baby bella mushrooms, sliced (I just used some white mushrooms bc no)
1 (10.5 oz can) Campbell's Healthy Request condensed cream of mushroom soup (I thought I had some, but I was wrong, so I used Aldi brand Fit and Healthy cream of chicken soup, mildly expired)
1 cup Prego Light Homestyle Alfredo Sauce 
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 (12 oz) bag frozen peas, thawed (Meh. My bag wasn't completely full and about half thawed)
2 (5 oz) cans solid white albacore tuna, drained and flaked
1 (8.8 oz) pouch Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Brown Rice (you don't have to cook it first, just dump it in)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup whole wheat Ritz cracker crumbs (about 13 crackers) (I was not about to go buy a box of wheat Ritz, so I just didn't use these or any breadcrumbs for that matter)

1) Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 13x9 with cooking spray.
2) In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Then add the garlic, onion and pepper. Cook for like 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Cook for like 5 more minutes.
3) Stir in the mushroom soup and Alfredo sauce. Add salt and pepper. Toss in the peas and tuna and stir in for like 2 minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and rip open your ready rice and dump it in there. Stir. Transfer to the baking dish and top with cheese and cracker crumbs. Bake for about 20 minutes. 

Mom bought me this pretty bowl today and it makes me so happy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment