Sunday, September 18, 2016

SS: Loaded "Baked Potato" Casserole

Cauliflower has become my new favorite thing. Lately, it has replaced so many carbs - tortilla chips for nachos, mashed potatoes....okay maybe just those two things but it's done a great job. It seems as though my efforts to become low carb are battled by Collin's insistence to continue buying me candy though. Hey, Reese's and peanut M&M's are low carb so it still counts.

This was so easy to make and I've found a new love in the form of turkey bacon. I'm also pretty sure I used more then the recommended 1 cup of ham but, like I always say: when in doubt, add more ham. This was amazing. Calvin mentioned several times how good it was and I had to stop myself from eating more. Freaking yum.

I broke this dish while taking it out of my cupboard, but it's my favorite so I'll just have to deal.

Ingredients:

2 (12-oz) bags frozen cauliflower
1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup light sour cream - I used plain greek yogurt
1 (1-oz) packet ranch salad dressing mix
Salt
Pepper
1 (12-oz) bag frozen broccoli florets
1 cup diced ham - see my motto, above
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chives, chopped
5 slices lower sodium turkey bacon

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4
Serving size: Heaping 1 1/3 cups

Cal: 258 Fat: 11g Carbs: 16g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 19g

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9 (or your favorite pan - use caution)
2) Cook cauliflower until soft. Drain.
3) Put the cauliflower in your kitchenaid mixer with the chicken broth, ranch mix, salt and pepper, and sour cream. Mash/blend to your desired consistency. 
4) Cook the broccoli until soft; drain. Toss it in the kitchenaid with the ham, half the chives and half the cheese. 
5) Spread the cauliflower/ham mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. 
6) Meanwhile, toss the bacon on a paper towel lined plate and put in the microwave for like 3 minutes. When it's cool enough; crumble. (Yeah, this doesn't crumble - you're going to have to chop it up)
7) Top the casserole with the remaining chives and cheese and toss the turkey bacon on top. Bake until the cheese melts - maybe 7-8 minutes more.


No comments:

Post a Comment