Sunday, April 30, 2017

TK: To-Go Breakfast Bars

I am one of those people who absolutely cannot skip breakfast. I have to have my 3 square meals a day or I will starve. The only problem with this is that my little family does not get out of bed until 8 am at the earliest, leaving me no time to make breakfast before we have to leave the house. (I understand the obvious answer here is to get up earlier...but abso-fucking-lutely not.) I usually make breakfast when I get to work, which is doable with my job, but I much prefer to just grab something quick. I flipped through Thug Kitchen and found this recipe for breakfast bars and thought maybe they're on to something here.

The fun part about these bars is that you can basically put whatever you want in them. Unfortunately for me, I did not have any dried cranberries (they suggested throwing some in there) and I think they would have really made a difference here. I did have dried banana chips and smashed those up in there, but they are missing something and I think that "thing" is flavor.

Mix, toast, stir and add and you press it all into a parchment lined 13x9. (The parchment lining is very necessary)


Then you toss it in the oven for about 25-30 and let it cool. Once you do that, put it in the fridge to harden even more then lift the parchment paper out of the dish and cut into squares (about 10).

The color is really lacking here and I don't like it

These are, as promised, an easy way to get in a quick breakfast that isn't drowning in sugar and fat. Again, my only issue is the lack of flavor and that's completely my fault. I encourage you to try it and add in what you like.

Recipe:

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 uncooked millet
1 1/4 cups chopped mixed nuts or seeds (I used almonds and sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit (I used banana chips)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup maple syrup (I used a combo of syrup and honey)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut or olive oil (I used coconut)
2 tbs sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9 with parchment paper. 
Heat a dry skillet over medium low heat and add the oats, quinoa and millet. Stir them around until toasty.
One that is done, toss the oat mixture with your nuts and dried fruit.
In a small saucepan, combine the syrup, peanut butter, oil, sugar and vanilla until warm and melted. 
Add the syrup mix to the oat mix and combine. 
Pour the mixture into a baking dish and spread around until even. Then make sure you pack it down really well. 
Toss it in the oven for 25-30, let completely cool then throw it in the fridge until cold. Cut into bars and keep in the fridge in an airtight container. 


No comments:

Post a Comment