Sunday, April 16, 2017

TK: Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

Today is Easter! Calvin gets really excited about Easter because he is obsessed with egg hunts. Every year, the kids spend the night with the grandparents Saturday night and go to Easter service at church with them on Sunday. They don't get home until about 10:30, which gives me time to get everything set up, and this year I felt like making a cute little brunch.

So I fiddled around Pinterest for a few minutes and found cute little bunny butts made out of pancakes. I remembered that Thug Kitchen had a pancake recipe, and it's a good thing, because I didn't have any pre-made mix on hand. The recipe is simple and you always have the ingredients on hand. I whipped up a batch, divided it in two, and dyed them pink and blue. It was around this time that I realized I did not have any syrup. Obviously there is more than one way to eat a pancake and I was confident I could still make it work, so I decided to assemble the kid's bunnies peanut butter and jelly style. I stuck two pancake rounds together with peanut butter and jelly and assembled the rest with dabs of peanut butter here and there. They did not turn out as cute as I had hoped, but oh well:

I used a smashed tator tot for the tail since I didn't have whipped cream.

You also can't really tell that they're dyed until you bite into them. Lesson learned. 

Now for the really fun part of being a mom. I had to threaten Calvin to eat them, Andrew ate everything but the pancake and eggs...so basically just banana and raisins. And then. My husband, after witnessing all of this, tells me he won't be eating any pancakes because we don't have any syrup. 

At this point, I smacked my knife on the counter out of frustration and told him he'd better suck it up and figure it out because now I was extremely annoyed. He did take pancakes, and I really have no idea how he ate them - nor do I care. I, however, smeared peanut butter on mine and topped it with sliced bananas like a normal, problem solving fucking person and it was delicious.

Here is the pancake recipe:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used regular white because I'm sick of whole wheat)
2 tbs. brown or white sugar (I used brown)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk

And if you want to make them banana, which I did not this time but I have before, mash 1 small banana.

Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the wet. Do not mix too much or your pancakes will be tough.

VOILA! Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha I can't stop laughing at the description of how noone would eat them. Aww.

    ReplyDelete