Friday, April 28, 2017

SS: Tex-Mex Casserole

The other night I went to a charity event with my mother and my sister as a last minute thing. I already had dinner planned out and figured I might as well still make it since, well, the kids still had to eat. I got lucky in that this was quick and simple and, in true casserole form, took most of the time in the oven. Yay!

I love casserole dishes with pasta because the kids would eat pasta every day if I decided it should be so. It makes for a sure fire, no fuss meal every single time and God how I wish I lived in Italy. I feel like I would just fit in so well there. I mean, I could eat pasta and bread every day and then walk everywhere. (By the way, if that's not what it's really like - don't tell me. I need it to be that way.)

See the corn? I'm positive that's what makes it Tex-Mex.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

8 oz. whole wheat pasta
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (10.5 oz) can tomato soup
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can corn, drained
1 (10 oz) can Ro*Tel (not drained)
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies (not drained)
2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheese (mexican blend, I was out so I used parmesan and mozzarella. whatevs)
1 diced tomato, for topping

Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a 9 x 13 with cooking spray
Cook the pasta. Drain and set aside.
Cook the beef, onion and garlic until the beef is done. Drain any excess fat and return to the skillet.
Add everything but the cheese to the skillet and mix together.
Transfer the mixture from the skillet to the 9 x 13. Sprinkle the cheese on top. 
Bake about 20 minutes, until hot and the cheese is melted. Top with diced tomato.

This was pretty damn good. I'll file this under "Kids will eat" and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment