Sunday, February 19, 2017

Baked Pasta Alla Norma with Mozzarella Bombs

I've been eyeing this recipe for a while. I have a strange obsession with baked pasta and it still took me this long to make because the recipe is long and requires two recipes in one. I love to cook, but sometimes I get hella lazy and don't want to do any extra work. BUTTT, after actually reading the recipe I realized this is actually not that bad. It doesn't require any marinating, and for that I thank Chrissy ten times over.

This recipe calls for eggplant. Now, eggplant always brings up a particular memory. I must have been 19 or 20 at this time. My dear friend Oscar and I went out to dinner one night and I got pasta while he ordered eggplant parmesan. I'd never in my life eaten eggplant and was very curious to know what it tasted like. Oscar, knowing that at that point in my life I had an aversion to new foods and had a hard time hiding my displeasure, gave me a look and said "You won't like it". He did this to avoid a sour look on my face and possibly a loud outburst. I'd like to thank him for knowing me so well because, a short while later, I was presented with the opportunity to try it again - and reacted as predicted.

Ever since then, I've stayed away from it. Recently, in my wise old age, I've begun to experiment with it and have had pleasurable results. The most recent experiment was eggplant pizzas which I thought were delightful....the boys not so much. Nevertheless, I proudly purchased a beautiful eggplant with high hopes for this recipe.

Now, to begin, she has you peel the eggplant. You've peeled potatoes and carrots and stuff, right? Well, this is nothing like that. You ever tried to peel an eggplant? This is not a vegetable that wishes to be peeled. The skin sticks to it like...well...skin. I started off with a potato peeler, switched to a knife, cut off a few chunks that were not skin, ditched the knife, and then finally got a rhythm with the damn potato peeler and thankfully this is only one eggplant and not a 5 lb bag.

If you ever make this recipe, I encourage you to read it like 5 times to figure out what kind of dishes you'll need and how many. The second "problem" I ran into was the amount of dishes you need for this. First, you make the sauce (her recipe calls for a saucepan, I made mine a few hours ahead of time in the crockpot - I'll post the recipe here for you so you can make that call). Then you need a pan for the eggplant and oil. Then a separate pan for the noodles to boil. Then you need a big enough dish to dump it all in that can also go in the oven. So that's...4 pots. 4 pots.  For one recipe.

But I'll be damned if it wasn't worth every single pot.

This was perfect. Oh, sweet Jesus if this didn't hit my pasta G-spot then I don't know what will. Hidden inside this (and pressed on top) are little balls of crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside mozzarella. It's just such a nice treat when paired with the noodles and fucking amazing sauce. I had a bowl of this for breakfast this morning because today is a terrible fucking day and I needed a little pick me up. I actually had my friend Emma over when this came out of the oven and she declined trying any - because clearly she's insane. I ate it though and forced myself to act like a lady and not eat seconds from the pan. 

Let me shake my head out of this pasta orgasm I've got going on and get you her sauce recipe. 

I've made this before. This sauce was featured in the Spicy Tomato Skillet Eggs with Prosciutto. Do ya'll remember that one? I made it while drunk and I may have used a crock pot then as well...Ok, well looking back at the post I make it seem like we left it simmering on the stove all night...

Perfect Tomato Sauce 

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups diced onion (about 2 medium)
2 tbs. finely minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
3 1/2 lbs. diced Roma tomatoes OR 1 - 28 oz. can diced tomatoes plus 1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 tbs. chopped fresh oregano
2 tbs. chopped fresh thyme
1 tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

You can do like I did and toss it all in a crockpot, no saute-ing required OR her way:

In a 4 quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until translucent and beginning to turn golden, about 13 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, 25 to 30 minutes for fresh tomatoes, 20 to 25 minutes for canned. 

This sauce is legit, you guys. It's really freaking good either way you make it. Alright, lunch time - AKA more pasta time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment